Host Bob St.Pierre takes the co-pilot seat as the organization’s Education & Outreach Program Manager Marissa Jensen takes the lead on a conversation with Carla Gibson and Jenny O’Brien on fly fishing, bird dogs, and chukar hunting in the West.
SUBSCRIBE: APPLE PODCASTS / SOUNDCLOUD / STITCHER
- Jenny and Carla share their personal stories about how fly fishing and bird hunting strengthened their friendship.
- Marissa and Carla discuss their experiences as volunteers with The Mayfly Project, whose mission is to connect with foster children through fishing.
- Jenny talks about tying flies during the COVID-19 pandemic using the birds bagged by the duo while upland hunting.
- Marissa discusses her love for the names of flies. She also references Nick Simonson’s Pheasants Forever blog 12 Flies you can Tie from Rooster Feathers.
- Carla explains her love for “devil birds” and how hunting chukars is more difficult than training for triathlons.
- Jenny and Carla jointly paint the picture of just how beautiful the Western landscape is where chukars and trout live, and how these beautiful places inspire conservation.
- The group discuss the benefits of social media as an outdoors recruitment tool and as a way to convert folks into hunters and anglers. Follow Carla on Instagram at @OregonOutdoorGirl and Jenny on Instagram at @Sea2Sage to check out photos of their fly fishing and bird hunting adventures.
- Marissa talks about the habitat connection between healthy upland birds, abundant trout populations, and clean cold water.
- As the episode closes, Jenny and Carla share their tips for the guys out there listening who want the women in their lives to come along into their outdoors adventures . . . to coach or not to coach?