Maintaining nutritional balance can be challenging, especially during hunting season, but doing so is essential if your bird dog is to perform at his or her best. One way to support your dog’s digestive health is by feeding a dog food with probiotics.
Purina Pro Plan
recently added guaranteed live probiotics to its SAVOR
dry formulas to positively impact a dog’s digestive health by balancing the levels of bacteria in the gut.
“A healthy gut microflora balance supports digestive health, which is important to a dog’s total well-being,” says Purina Senior Research Nutritionist Gail Czarnecki-Maulden, PhD. “We’ve studied probiotics for many years. The probiotic we chose for the Pro Plan SAVOR formulas is known for being robust and stable, and is alive in the food when fed to your dog.”
The guaranteed live probiotics were added in a phased rollout that began earlier last year to all of the Pro Plan SAVOR dry dog formulas. This includes puppy, adult small breed, adult large breed, regular adult, senior adult, and, coming soon, grain-free adult formulas. Look for the specially marked bags showing formulas with probiotics. Purina Pro Plan is sold exclusively at pet specialty and through online retailers.
The Pros of Dog Food with Probiotics
- Supports digestive health by helping to balance the levels of bacteria in a dog’s gut
- Robust enough to survive the manufacturing process and storage conditions
- No risk of damaging or killing the probiotics when mixed with wet dog food
- High-quality protein: Including real chicken, turkey, salmon, lamb, or beef as the No. 1 ingredient
- Shredded blend taste and texture: A combination of crunchy kibble and tender, meaty pieces that dogs love
- Healthy skin and coat: Vitamin A and linoleic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid
- Antioxidants: Help promote a healthy immune system
- Protein-to-fat ratio: Helps dogs maintain ideal body condition
Yes, you can combine Pro Plan SAVOR dry food with Pro Plan Veterinary Diets FortiFlora.
“Different probiotic strains can have different effects on your dog’s body,” explains Purina Director of Veterinary Technical Communications Jason Gagne, DVM, DACVN. “Pro Plan SAVOR dry formulas contain the probiotic Bacillus coagulans BC30 to help support digestive health in healthy dogs. FortiFlora canine probiotic supplement contains a different probiotic strain, Enterococcus faecium SF68, proven to promote normal intestinal microflora. It has not been studied whether or not these two probiotics have a synergistic effect if fed together.”
FortiFlora is a supplement for the dietary management of puppies and adult dogs with diarrhea. It also helps promote a strong immune system. After consulting with your veterinarian, consider starting FortiFlora before travel or a stressful event, as it takes time to have an effect on your dog’s body.
Be sure to talk to your veterinarian if you have questions about the right diet and probiotic approach for your individual dog.
Submitted by Purina Pro Plan, the official dog food brand of Pheasants Forever.