Spring is usually the peak season for adding a puppy to the family. COVID-19 also has a lot of folks working from home right now which has people thinking about an easier path to potty training. The combination has led people in the Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever community to reach out to our host Bob St.Pierre with questions about adding a second bird dog puppy this spring. To help navigate the decisions in that thought process, Bob catches up with pro dog trainer Tom Dokken. This episode is brought to our listeners in conjunction with the 2020 Bird Dogs for Habitat campaign
and sponsored by SportDOG BRAND
Episode highlights include:
• The guys talk about how the age of your veteran bird dog should play into your thought process for adding a second puppy to your pack.
• Bob and Tom discuss the best way to pick a puppy out of a litter that will fit your family and hunting style.
• Dokken talks through the process of introducing a puppy to an adult dog, as well as what to look for in avoiding a dangerous confrontation.
• The guys also discuss the fact versus fiction associated with an old dog teaching a young dog how to hunt.
• And the guys dream about the magical scenario of working a pointing dog with a flushing breed in the field.
SUBSCRIBE: APPLE PODCASTS / SOUNDCLOUD / STITCHER