Providing quality places where diverse habitat for wildlife species and hunters intersect – public lands – remains a high priority for Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever. And in the 21st
century where new and difficult social challenges are turning more men and women to experience America’s most treasured social distancing activity in The Great Outdoors, access to wild places remains a critical part of our mission.
That’s why we’ve joined forces with onX
for a new endeavor aimed at creating access opportunities for outdoorsmen and women: the Report a Land Access Opportunity
project. This effort seeks to open access to existing public lands where inholdings, illegal access routes, or barriers of some kind are preventing the sporting community from reaching wild, public domains.
Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever will be engaging with upland hunters over the coming months, asking our members and supporters to share their on-the-ground knowledge about the barriers and opportunities to improve access to public lands and waters through the onX Hunt App platform. In the mainstay of America’s pheasant and quail ranges where a large percentage of property is under private ownership, the desire for improved public hunting access is even more pronounced among the wingshooting community.
Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever President & CEO Howard Vincent adds, “We’re proud of our organization’s ability to tackle public access through a variety of initiatives. We’ve permanently added more than 200,000 acres of access through land acquisitions and have worked diligently to create public lands through walk-in legislation in the Farm Bill. This ‘user-generated’ effort with onX is a new and exciting way to build upon our ‘Public Land Creator’ mantra. Ultimately, it is the hope of Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever through all our efforts that we can help change the script from “where can I go hunt?” to “where should I go hunt?”
We’re calling on all uplanders to get involved with this initiative by identifying barriers and opportunities to improve access to public lands and waters. Here’s how to help:
- Properties currently for sale that could secure a new public access route to public lands
- Public land parcels that have no legal access routes
- Gates or roadblocks restricting travel to public lands
- Public waters that are difficult or impossible to reach
- Places where the public is trespassing when trying to reach public land
- Private landowners can tell us about places that are open to allow the public to cross their land to responsibly reach public land
There are two ways to report access opportunity locations:
onX Hunt App
Without an onX Account:
- Zoom to the location you want to tell us about in your onX Web Map or Hunt App.
- Tap the “Add Waypoint” tool and drag the Waypoint to the exact location, if necessary.
- Name your Waypoint to reflect what you are reporting (e.g., is it a property for sale next to BLM land? A blocked road? A new trail opportunity?)
- Attach a photo (optional). If you have a photo of the location, you can upload it in the Photo section of the Waypoint details.
- Tell us about the Opportunity (required). In the Notes section of the Waypoint details, describe why this area is a candidate for improving access. What types of recreational activities does it offer? Please be as detailed and specific as possible.
- Save your Waypoint.
- Share the Waypoint with email@example.com. (Tap on your Waypoint so that the information box pops up, then tap the orange Share button.)
- Click here to submit an online form
With a strong passion to conserve wildlife habitat and public land for future generations to enjoy, Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever is thrilled to be a part of an initiative that will work to improve the outdoor experience of hunters and other conservationists.
Want to Easily Find Public Access in Your Area?
Use the #1 GPS hunting app
, onX. The best tool for every hunter, the onX Hunt App displays clearly marked property boundaries, public and private landowner names and more.
Use the code PHEASANTS
on the onX website
and save 20%!