Trying to get your wild game to last a while? How about getting the most bang for your buck, or in this case pheasant! Make delicious sandwiches or simply roll up and eat as many as you can in a single sitting. Either way this recipe is sure to please! We used Spinach and Fetta but you can really use any seasoning that you want!
Recipe: Pheasant Cold Cuts
- Pheasant Breast
- 20% Pork Fat (optional)
- Water (2 oz per lb of meat)
Feta Cheese and Spinach Sausage Seasoning (or sausage seasoning of choice)
- Sure cure (recommended)
- Cold Phosphate (recommended)
- Carrot Fiber (recommended)
- Casing with diameter you desire
- Automatic Hog Ring Pliers or another way to close casing
- Meat Grinder
- Sausage Stuffer
Soak casings in water for recommended amount of time for the casing you chose.
1. Cut all pheasant breast into pieces small enough to easily fit down your Meat Grinders throat and place in the freezer until it almost frozen.
2. Grind all meat 3 times, including fat if you decide to add any. 1st through a 3/8" plate (or largest available) then twice more through a 1/8" plate (or smallest available)
3. Add seasoning, sure cure, cold phosphate, carrot fiber and 1/2 of your water to the meat and mix until meat becomes sticky the add rest of water and continue to mix until all water has been absorbed.
4. Load your stuffer being careful not to create any air pockets and stuff into casing. Hold casing on the tube firmly so you reduce the number of voids in your finished product.
5. Close the opened end of the casing with Automatic Hog Ring Pliers.
6. Hang from top rack in your oven by placing a wooden dowel across rack and through the loop in your casing
7. Cook at 225° until the internal temperature reaches 160°
8. Place in an ice bath that is 50% Ice and 50% Water and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
9. Slice as thin as possible with meat slicer or by hand.
10. Serve on rolls or with cheese as rollups and enjoy!